Thursday, March 4, 2010

They Are Back!

Late Monday afternoon, I went over to my son's and daughter-in-law's house to refill my drinking water jugs.  I am ashamed to admit that I am a water snob, having been used to delicious, cold and sweet well water from our old home of almost 25 years that we sold a while back.  The water from the well on the lot we are currently renting is full of iron, keeps me constantly scrubbing the stains from the sinks and toilet, and tastes like you are sucking on an old rusty iron pipe when you drink it.  Thus, the reason for getting our drinking water from the kids' well.

As I stepped out of the car, empty jugs in hand, my ears picked up the sound I have been yearning for the last month.  Blackbirds!  Their voices were raised in the distance, announcing their arrival to our mountain valley and their yearly nesting grounds.  Tremendous joy filled my heart as I stood there listening to them call back and forth to each other.  I joined in their revelry, basked in the knowledge that with them comes Spring, and praised my Lord and my God for faithfully returning them at a time I needed them the most.

The return of these small, insignificant birds may sound trivial to some, but not to me.  Their arrival confirmed that God is still present in my heart and life, and He is still in control of all things seen and unseen, even the migratory pattern of birds.  There is nothing too small that He does not notice and tend to its needs.  And the fact they came on that particular day, following a moment of conviction and a reminder of Jesus' great love for all of His creation, played a more important role as the day came to a close.


We must never take anything in God's creation for granted, even the appearance of a bird that is called back to where it will begin new life.  I think this year's season change has taught me that very important lesson.  As I watch the little birds that have been feeding at the suet cages all winter, I can also see changes in them.  The males are donning their tuxedos of  pattern and color to woo the females.  Pairs of males and females are accompanying each other in preparation of setting up house somewhere in the trees.  

And even the squirrels that have feuded all winter over the peanuts I tossed to them are now beginning to allow others to feed alongside them - although, they have not ceased their incessant chatter.

There is so much to look forward to as Spring progresses into summer: the anticipation of the Lord clothing the bare fields with wild flowers; vibrant green leaves bursting from tree limbs, and the earth being blanketed with field grasses.  


The air will be filled with the song of the meadow larks  as they lift their voice in praise to the Lord for ending the long, cold winter.  And I will join them.



Thank You, Jehovah Jireh, our Provider, for Your ever-lasting faithfulness in gifting to us Your creation, to be in awe of each part of it, and to enjoy it every season.  It truly is beautiful and wonderful!

No comments: