Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Snake In The Grass: The Westboro Baptist Church

I am a Christian. I am grateful for the grace and mercy that God has shown to me through His Son Jesus Christ. I am heading to a home beyond my imagination because of that grace and mercy. I love Jesus and what He did and stands for. Because of that I am compelled to let everyone else around me know about that love and forgiveness. But there is a snake in the grass seeking to devour everyone out there who does not know Jesus. This snake is a liar and a very good one. He can convince even the very educated. The ones who say "there is no God".

This snake uses an assortment of methods to accomplish his goal. He even uses "religion". One of those "religions" is the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas. You know them. They are the ones who claim to be Christians yet go about spewing hatred at fallen soldiers funeral services. Why? "Well didn't you know that God hates homosexuals and because of that He is judging America because we accept them here." (Their sentiments not mine or God's). These people have chosen to fixate on one sin: homosexuality. They have chosen to be the judge. They have chosen to hate. These people are as far removed from Christ as someone who says they do not believe.

These two groups, the atheist/agnostic and members of cults like Westboro Baptist Church are more alike than they would like to think. Both have decided to fixate on one issue. Both have decided to be the judge. Neither have a relationship with Jesus Christ. One is just claiming to have one and the other is claiming He doesn't exist. That's the only difference between the two.

Why do I write this? Many people who have no knowledge of Jesus Christ are convinced that because I am a Christian that I must believe like this cult. That's an oxymoron. I am a Christ believer. I am fixated on Him. I am not nor will ever be the judge. I love because Christ loves me and through me. The truth is, if you have no knowledge of Him you are much more like the Westboro Baptist Church cult. They have no knowledge of Him either.

So I've said my peace. I do not have to defend my Christianity to anyone. Jesus is already doing that for me before His Father. He knows the hearts of men. My job is just to tell you about His love, mercy, grace and forgiveness.

No comments: