Monday, May 30, 2011

Looking Beyond the Familiar

"Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall!
Blessed are the people whose God is the LORD!"

Psalm 144:15


Sometimes the ordinary events of our lives are ignored for what they truly are:   blessings from God.

Without hardly a thought, we trudge through our day performing the same menial tasks we've been doing for years or decades and take every bit of it for granted.  Even when our day includes a tidbit of a break from the mundane, we fail to acknowledge what is special about it.

I glance through the window into the yard outside and my eyes don't look beyond the landscape that surrounds me.  They remain focused on the immediate vicinity and the things I am familiar with.

How much are we missing by not refocusing our attention on the greater details of our lives and looking beyond the familiar?  I would surmise that we're missing out on a lot more than what is right in front of our eyes.  Even when that special something or someone is present, if we're not careful, we fail to look deeply into what's been placed there.

The tendency we have to begrudge the little things in our lives is robbing us of the realization that God's hand is in every bit of them.  Today, I am able to see with new eyes into the richness of His blessings that stretch beyond the familiar.  He's opened them to show me how much He loves me, even in the smallest of details.

In spite of my current trials and my unreached desires, God has surrounded me with the beauty of His creation and the love of my family.  He has reminded me of the endless bounties He's poured out upon me - not too much, but just enough.

The LORD has broadened my horizon so that I can see Him more clearly.

What more could I ask for?


No comments: