Monday, March 30, 2020

His Gaze Returned

(Originally posted March 15, 2011)

"Steadfast love and faithfulness meet; righteousness and peace kiss each other.  Faithfulness springs up from the ground, and righteousness looks down from the sky."
Psalm 85:10-11






O LORD, how often I had felt
my wantonness and disgrace;
the wretched state in which I dwelt
caused You to turn Your face.

My sins, so great and ever present
before Your throne on high,
kept love far from my darkened heart,
and grace from my dim eyes.

But You, O LORD, returned Your gaze
and saw what man cannot; 
a child meant for Your blessed Son,
whom, from suffering, He had bought.

Into His hands You presented me,
those precious hands pierced through;
a gift of love for Your obedient Son
so graciously given by You.

What love is this, O LORD my God,
that You chose the likes of me;
to write my name upon the hand
that suffered on Calvary?

You chose to take my sins so great
upon Yourself, so fair;
a child of sin turned child of grace,
brought into Your eternal care.

You now can look upon this wretch
You saved from death’s firm grasp;
as You gaze upon my remade heart,
Your Son You see at last.

No comments: